Ataxia UK Branches and Support Groups
Our Support Groups and Branches are what truly make Ataxia UK a nationwide charity. Living with a rare condition can feel isolating, and Ataxia UK aims to reduce that feeling by coordinating a network of groups across the UK, where people affected by ataxia can meet up, socialise, share experiences and advice, or just have a good time.
About Our Groups
Our Support Groups and Branches are set up and run by volunteers who are Friends of the charity. Support Groups tend to be spaces in which members can share support and information, have fun and blow off some steam. Branches are localised bodies of the charity itself, which have a Chair and Treasurer and hold fundraisers throughout the year.
Over 50 Groups and Branches across the UK meet up, socialise, share tips and advice and fundraise; finding solace, support and fun among people who understand their condition. Some meet weekly, others monthly and some just when and where they can. They are always welcoming to new people.
How to join/start a group
Ataxia UK is a charity that supports anyone affected by the condition, not just those who have it: family members, friends, partners, children and carers are very welcome to attend. If you want to join a Support Group or Branch, check the regions of the UK below to find one near you, along with their contact details.
Many of our groups are running virtual meetings on Zoom during the pandemic, while some are starting to return to in-person meetings. If you'd like to attend, please get in touch with the relevant group leader and they can send you a link to join or venue details. There is even a virtual support group, welcoming members from any area, which meets regularly online.
- Wednesday 1st November 10:30-12:30 Newcastle (in person)
- Sunday 5th November 14:00-17:00 West of Scotland (in person)
- Thursday 9th November 11:00-13:00 Farnham (online)
- Tuesday 14th November 19:00-20:30 Essex (online)
- Thursday 16th November 13:00-14:30 Virtual Support Group (online)
- Saturday 18th November 11:00-13:00 South Cheshire (in person)
- Saturday 18th November 12:00-15:00 Coventry and Warwickshire (in person)
- Monday 20th November 14:00-16:00 South Cheshire (online)
- Wednesday 22nd November 10:00-12:00 Hampshire (online)
- Tuesday 28th November 19:00-20:30 Episodic ataxia (online)
- Wednesday 29th November 19:00-20:30 Essex (in person)
- Sunday 3rd December 15:00-16:30 16-30's (online)
- Wednesday 6th December 10:30 Newcastle (in person)
- Thursday 7th December 13:00 Leeds (in person)
- Friday 8th December 14:00-15:30 Carers Support Group (online)
- Tuesday 12th December 19:00- 20:30 Essex (online)
- Wednesday 13th December 18:00-19:30 West Country (online)
- Thursday 14th December 11:00-13:00 Autoimmune & Gluten Support Group (online)
- Saturday 16th December 10:30 -12:00 Virtual Support Group (online)
- Saturday 16th December 11:00-13:00 Dover (in person)
- Monday 18th December 14:00-16:00 South Cheshire (online)
- Wednesday 27th December 10:00-12:00 Hampshire (online)
- Wednesday 27th December 19:00 Essex (in person)
If you want to start a Group or Branch, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
T: 07970 481424
Rainham and Gravesend
T: 07738 366 433
T: 07776 188 877
East of England
Ataxia East Branch (generally the Peterborough area)
Ipswich & Colchester
We are currently looking for a new volunteer Support Group leader after the wonderful Patsy stepped down after 14 years! Please get in touch with email@example.com if you're interested in finding out more information.
While groups are running virtually on Zoom, members from the Ipswich & Colchester area are free to join any of the other Support Group meetings. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to be put in touch with one of the other groups.
Birmingham and Lichfield
T: 0121 7837 858 or 07969465315
Coventry and Warwickshire
07866 861632 or 01789 509698
Sheldon and Birmingham Branch
0121 7837 858
We are currently looking for a new volunteer Support Group leader. Please get in touch with email@example.com if you're interested in finding out more information.
While groups are running virtually on Zoom, members from the Nottingham area are free to join any of the other Support Group meetings. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to be put in touch with one of the other groups.
Currently does not have a leader. If you are interested in this role please get in touch with email@example.com
The South of England
We are currently looking for a new volunteer Support Group leader after the wonderful Anneli stepped down after many years! Please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested in finding out more information.
While groups are running virtually on Zoom, members from the South Downs area are free to join any of the other Support Group meetings. Please contact email@example.com if you'd like to be put in touch with one of the other groups.
The South West
Gloucestershire & Worcestershire
This group is currently looking for a leader, if you think this is something you might be interested in please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
T: 07773 940 586 or 01392 660 398
Mark Allen & Phil Jones
0113 219 1700 or 0777 387 5323
Karen & Gavin Dalton
0166 187 1917
0191 581 9995
0152 483 2536
0138 727 9431
0789 668 0080
East of Scotland
West of Scotland
In this video members of our West Scotland branch tell us what made them join, but more importantly, what keeps them coming back.
Jeanne Roberts (Jen)
0289 187 3592
Ataxia UK Virtual Support Group
As most groups are now returning to face-to-face meetings in some form or the other, this group will aim to provide support to our community members who are not able to attend face-to-face meetings and would still like to be a part of a support group.
We usually meet on Zoom once every 4-6 weeks, and we alternate between weekday and weekend meetings. You can find some of the upcoming meeting dates here.
If you would like to join or ask further questions, please email Ed, Jay, and Gemma at email@example.com - we look forward to meeting you!
Episodic Ataxia Online Support Group
T: 01268 545584 or 07539061075
Autoimmune & Gluten Ataxia Support Group
16-30's Support Group
Our Carers Support Group is next meeting on the 8th of December at 14:00-15:30. We will be joined by our occupational therapy students who will be presenting on carers and occupational therapy.
If you have any questions, please could you send them through to firstname.lastname@example.org
To register for the meeting, Click Here.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
- Ataxia research conferences
- Cerebellar ataxia
- Friedreich's ataxia
- Research News
- Virtual Activities