Apply For A Grant
Ataxia UK provides funding for innovative and relevant research on the ataxias. Read below to discover more about the application process. A list of current and recently funded projects can be seen here. Ataxia UK have also passed the 2020 peer review audit by the Association of Medical Research Charities, of which we are a member.
Apply For Funding
The application process
Ataxia UK hold two rounds of preliminary applications for funding (award amount £5-30K) each year. All applicants are encouraged to contact the Head of Research, Dr Julie Greenfield (email@example.com), before submitting a proposal. The next Ataxia UK preliminary grant application deadline is Monday 16th October 2023.
Small grant and pilot scheme applications of less than £5,000 are accepted on an ad hoc basis to be discussed at our next Scientific Advisory Committee meeting. Please contact the Head of Research for more details of timings.
For DRPLA research applications please contact the Head of Research as the timings for receiving applications may differ.
We consider a variety of proposals, including:
- research projects
- PhD studentships
- research fellowships
- travel awards for researchers or students presenting at conferences
- satellite meetings at major Symposia of other organisations dealing with related disorders, as a way of raising awareness and enhancing collaboration with researchers in these disciplines
- small grants for research projects (less than £5000)
- pilot scheme grants (less than £5000)
We ask applicants to submit a preliminary proposal (i.e. a one page summary of research). Ataxia UK’s Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) review the proposals we receive, and decide which applicants should submit a full application.
Selected applicants complete our application form (seen below). Their research projects are then peer reviewed and assessed by the SAC, who decide to whom the grant should be awarded. You can view the members of the Scientific Advisory Committee and terms of reference here.
We have specific applications forms for certain types of projects. Please see our list of them below. For more information about how to apply, see the guidance document for researchers.
- Research grants (including PhD studentships) and fellowship grants: please fill out the Preliminary Application Form
- Small grants (up to £5,000): Small grant application form
- Pilot scheme grants (up to £5,000): Pilot scheme application form
- Conference/travel grants: Conference travel grant application form
- Research Strategy
- Ataxia UK's Terms and Conditions for Research grants
- Research grant application form (for reference only)
- Ataxia UK's Conflict of Interest Policy in Research
- Ataxia UK’s Policy on the use of animals in research
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
- Ataxia research conferences
- Cerebellar ataxia
- Friedreich's ataxia
- Research News
- Virtual Activities