We are Karishma and Lara, MSc. Occupational Therapy students from the University of Brighton on placement at Ataxia UK.
Join us as we introduce the role of Occupational Therapy and offer some tools to help with fatigue management.
These activities will include gentle stretching, breathing and mindfulness techniques including breathwork and Yoga Nidra (Yogic Sleep). The activities have been selected by us which have been proven through evidence based research to be a great tool in managing fatigue and improving sleep.
Date and time:
Friday 31st of March 2023, 11 am – 12.15 pm
Register in advance for this meeting:
Recommendations for the session:
- Wear stretchy or comfortable clothes, socks can be worn but preferably remove shoes.
- Be in a quiet, warm place with ambient lighting, switch off phones notifications and minimise distractions.
- For the Yoga Nidra activity, we advise for this to be done lying down, but this is not mandatory. You can also do the activity in a seated position.
- If you prefer to lay down for the practice, it is recommended to do so on a firm but comfortable surface like a bed / floor on a yoga mat, have a bolster or rolled blanket and a thin pillow ready to keep under your knees and head.
- If you prefer to sit during the practice, use a comfortable chair (including wheelchair), and have a neck support or pillow and another small cushion or similar ready.
- Relaxation techniques may cause drowsiness so to be sure to be in a safe and secure position in case of falling asleep and if needed, request for a family member or carer to be present at the time of the session.
We would be happy to answer any questions you might have regarding Occupational Therapy and the activities before or during the session. Feel free to email us on email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org